Before going on holidays, we attended a wedding and for the first time, I decided to make the dresses for both girls and myself. I was comfortable with the girls’ dresses, but not so much with making one for myself. Let’s be honest, I’ve made a few dresses for myself, but a dress to attend a wedding I was not so sure.
To start, I made M a dress I had made before and really like, the Atlanta dress by Nun Studio.
For this dress it is essential that it fits properly at the chest, so I made a size 6 for width, with size 8 for height and the fit is great.
My favourite part of the dress are the sleeves, so I wanted to accentuate that feature and used a different fabric for lining ang cotton lace. The main fabric is Broderie Anglaise from the Sweet Mercerie and the lining fabric is Liberty Felicité denim blue from Stragier. Two of my favourite fabrics 😉 and I just wish this dress could grow with her…
F asked me if I could make her a twirling dress with a sash and bow. That was an easy request, that I was pleased to fulfil.
Once more, I used a pattern I already knew, the Tinny Dress by Straight Grain, with circle skirt and regular bodice. To make it as per F’s request, I added a sash. Also, I thought a ruffled collar would look good and she agreed on adding it.
I made a straight size 8, using the same fabrics used for M’s dress. Installing an invisible zipper in this fabric was not the most enjoyable task and it’s not perfect but the sash helps disguise and it looks so pretty!
Although it was quite warm back in July, the truth is you can never trust the weather in the UK, so I decided to make both girls a cape, bearing in mind that the wedding was at the evening.
The pattern I used is the Constance Cape by Jilly Atlanta in size 7 for both girls. To choose the size I considered the shoulder to shoulder measurement and opted for straight hem, gathered collar and ties. The girls did really enjoy this cape 😊
I used a linen from Stone Fabrics for the main fabric and some Liberty (the same as the one used for the dresses) for the collar and ties. Love how it looks!
Now, this post is getting a little longer than usual and I hope someone is still reading until this point.
For myself, I thought about using a pattern for a long dress, but I was afraid I would have to make changes and I didn’t had the time to make muslins and adjustments, so I decided to go with a pattern I already knew and loved and made one more Amalfi dress…
The only change I made was to extend the skirt. I used the tea length version to start with and added 26cm.
The fabric is viscose crepe from Atelier Brunette bought at Maçãs d’Amor. I’ve used this fabric before and knew it drapes beautifully, just what I needed to achieve the look I had in mind.
Now I promise I will stop sharing summer projects and hope it won’t take too long to share my autumn make